The garden huckleberry (Solanum melanocerasum) is not a true relative of the wild huckleberry or blueberry, but is instead a member of the same plant family as potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants and peppers. Like other nightshade relatives, the garden huckleberry's foliage should never be eaten. The fully ripe berries, however, are not only edible, but also incredibly delectable. And they're easy to harvest -- no thorns to battle as in picking wild berries. Serve this luscious pie with whipped cream or ice cream. Posted in response to a recipe request.
Provided by Molly53
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Stem, wash and drain huckleberries.
- Place berries in a heavy pot, cover with cold water and bring to a slow boil.
- Cook until soft.
- Drain; mash berries with a potato masher to break their skins.
- Add sugar, nutmeg, salt, butter, lemon juice and cornstarch.
- Cook for about five minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- Place pastry for bottom crust in pie pan.
- Pour in the berry mixture and dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust, crimping crust edges to seal and piercing top crust all over with a fork to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is a light brown.
Top Asked Questions
How do you make a Huckleberry Pie?Combine huckleberries, sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cinnamon, if using, in a large bowl. Toss to evenly distribute the sugar, then let the mixture sit for 20-30 minutes so the tapioca can soften slightly. Add the filling to the pie crust, then dot with butter.
How to cook huckleberries in oven?1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Advertisement 2 Place huckleberries in pastry-lined pan. In a small bowl, mix together 3/4 cup sugar and flour. Spoon evenly over berries. ... 3 Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes, until crust is golden ...
How do you make Huckleberries with tapioca?Note: If using frozen fruit, quickly rinse off any ice that may have formed around the berries and drain completely. Mix both sugars, tapioca, orange zest, orange juice, salt, and cinnamon, if using. Add huckleberries and one shredded apple (optional) and mix gently to combine. Set aside to rest for 15 minutes to allow the tapioca to activate.
Can you mix Huckleberry preserves and blueberries?The good news about them being so closely related is that you can combine huckleberry preserves and fresh blueberries and get the flavor of huckleberry pie. Preparing the pie is so easy! Simply mix together blueberries (fresh or frozen), huckleberry preserves, lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch. The hardest part is the crust.
You'll also love