This is Tex-Mex in all it's glory! This is great for picnics,great for pot lucks, brunches, just anything! Feel free to use any bean you like, white kidney or black-eye peas(New Year's Day). I hope you will enjoy this, as I do.If you are short on time, use canned beans, just rinse well; same as the corn,use frozen over canned. *Vinaigrette follows*. You may use your favorite nacho chips, rather than broiling the corn tortillas.Make a bouquet garni by putting 5-6 parsley stems, 2-3sprigs fresh thyme and 1 bay leaf together with a piece of kitchen string. For the best taste, chill at least 1 hour. Soaking time not included. Times are approx.
Provided by FLUFFSTER
Categories Salad Dressings
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Put the dried beans in a large bowl. Add water to cover generously and leave them to soak, at least 8 hours.*See note.
- Drain the beans, rinse, then drain again.
- Peel the onion and stud it with the cloves. Place the beans in a casserole. Add the bouquet garni, onion and chili peppers, if using. Cover generously with water, bring to boil and boil for 10 minutes,cover and simmer until the beans are done, about 1-1 1/2 hours.Add salt halfway through cooking.
- Drain the beans, discarding the bouquet garni and the onion. Rinse the beans again under cold water, and drain again thoroughly.
- For the chili pepper dressing:.
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stem.Chop the leaves finely. Whisk together the vinegar,cumin,salt and pepper.
- Cut the peppers lengthwise, discarding the seeds and ribs. Cut into thin strips, then across into diced. Add the diced peppers to the whisked dressing ingredients. Gradually whisk in the safflower oil, so that the vinaigrette emulsifies, and thickens slightly. Stir in the cilantro, reserving a little for garnish. Taste for seasonings.
- Prepare the vegetables and toss the salad:.
- Remove the husks and silks from corn.** Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the corn and cook 5-7 minutes.** Drain the corn,and when cool enough, remove the kernals.
- Core and seed the red, green and yellow peppers,making sure to remove the ribs inside. Then place the cut side up and dice. Core the tomatoes, core an "x" on the base of each. Immerse in boiling water until the skins start to split. Transfer to cold water. Peel and seed the tomatoes, then chop.
- In a large bowl, combine the kidney beans,.
- corn,tomatoes and peppers and peppers,corn kernels,tomatoes, bell peppers and chili-pepper.Gently toss the salad and taste for seasoning. Cover and chill in the refrigerator.
- Note*: An alternative to soaking the beans, put them in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 30 minutes. Drain them, rinse and drain again.
- Note**If fresh corn is not available, substitute 2 cups of defrosted corn kernals. dd them to the salad without cooking. If using this method, skip to step 3.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 532.1, Fat 20.7, SaturatedFat 1.5, Sodium 40.2, Carbohydrate 72.7, Fiber 15.6, Sugar 9.9, Protein 19.6
Top Asked Questions
How to make bean salad with corn?This bean salad with corn is colorful, spicy, and refreshing. Combine beans, bell peppers, corn, and red onion in a large bowl. Whisk olive oil, vinegar, cilantro, lime juice, lemon juice, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, and black pepper together in a small bowl. Season with chili powder and hot sauce. Pour dressing over bean mixture and toss well.
How do you make a Corn Tortilla Salad?Directions. For the dressing: Add the oil, vinegar, honey and lime juice to a deep bowl. Whisk to combine. For the salad: Add the corn, peppers, shallot and cilantro to the bowl. Stir with a spoon until well mixed. Season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving so the flavors can marinate.
How do you make a salad with raw corn and lettuce?Season with salt and pepper. Place red lettuce leaves on plates. Spoon salad onto lettuce. Top with fresh cilantro sprigs and serve. With RAW corn, cut fresh off the cob, red onion instead of green, and some adjustments to the dressing, this is not only an explosion of colors, but the most unbelievably delicious recipe I've tried.
How long does black bean and corn salad last?This black bean and corn salad is a delicious summer side dish or healthy lunch! It keeps well for up to 3 days in the fridge, but if you're making it in advance, wait to add the avocado until right before you eat. Otherwise, it will start to brown. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, avocado oil, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper.
You'll also love